Tuesday, May 10, 2011

The Journey of a thousand miles...

Well, this is my first post. I'm not really sure what to write about. I've got a whole bunch of short stories I'll be putting up, and then after my exams I'll start writing some more.

If you stumbled here by accident, apologies for the painfully bad quality; I'm sure, like most things, it'll improve over time. I'll just do a really short story I thought of earlier:

"This damn hill eh?"
She doesn't stop talking.
"I tell you, one day I'll give myself a heart attack"
She won't shut up. Do you not have a bloody filter on what comes out of that fucking mouth of yours?
"And it's blinking hot today, hottest we've had in years"
Tomorrow I'll tell her, we'll talk about it, heart to heart, talk better than we have in years. I'll wait till after Eastenders so she feels it's like a bloody game. And she'll cry and I'll try to console her, but then when, inevitably, she gets angry I'll grab my bag and head out to the Travel Lodge.
"You wouldn't believe what Tammy told me today"
Yes I can. She told you about her boyfriend. the one who can't keep it in his pants. The one that gets with every girl that catches his eye. The one that hits on people in front of her. And yet she still stays with him... she gets all that comes to her.

And then suddenly we're at home, and I have no idea how we got here. It's 5:47 and I'm watching some commercial about Febreeze and it's cleaning potential. I can hear her plodding around in the kitchen, kettle boiling. Must be the ad-break. This is the time, I'll do it now. I heave myself off the sofa. I look toward the kitchen and she's looking at me. No, that's not right, looking INTO me. There's something wrong, her eyes are misty and she looks like she canbarely sit down.
"Honey, we need to talk"
Oh god, I probably left a wet towel on the floor, or didn't take the bins out or left the toast in the toaster or something bloody pointless like that.
"I don't know how to say this, but..."
Wait, this isn't the usual mindless nagging, something's....
"I'm pregnant."

No comments:

Post a Comment